Tony Tuckson, a preeminent Australian artist and Abstract Expressionist, worked in pencil, charcoal, ink, watercolor, gouache, and mixed media. His emphasis on line and brushstrokes reflected his spontaneous and highly gestural approach. Tuckson studied painting at the Hornsey School of Art in London from 1937 to 1939, and at the Kingston School of Art, serving in the Royal Air Force from 1940 onward. When he was sent to Sydney in 1946, he pursued studies at the East Sydney Technical College for three years. In 1949 Tuckson was deeply impressed by an exhibition of aboriginal art from Arnhem Land from the collection of Ronald Berndt. After he became assistant director, then deputy director (1957), of the Art Gallery of New South Wales, he pioneered curatorial work in promoting and exhibiting Australian aboriginal and Melanesian art. Tuckson painted and drew his whole life and produced some 450 paintings and more than a thousand drawings. Although his work in later years was overshadowed by his museum career, he had two solo shows at Watters Gallery in East Sydney in 1970 and 1973.