Ruth Schloss immigrated to Israel in 1937, attending the New Bezalel School of Arts and Crafts in Jerusalem from 1938 to 1942. After graduation, Schloss illustrated adult and children’s books at the Sifriat Poalim publishing house. Throughout her career, Schloss worked outside of schools or movements, though she is most frequently identified as a social realist. Unlike many Social Realists, however, she was concerned with the fragility and loneliness of individuals. Later her work would be analyzed from a feminist perspective. Despite her isolation from other contemporary artists and little public exposure, Schloss practiced rigid discipline in her painting, producing a large body of work over the course of seven decades. After studying at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière in Paris from 1949 to 1951, Schloss spent time on a kibbutz, but was asked to leave because of her socialist beliefs. Schloss returned to her parents’ home in Kfar Shmaryahu in 1953, where she remained for the rest of her life. She worked in a studio in Jaffa from the 1960s to the ‘80s. Schloss was included in group shows at the Tel Aviv Museum of Art and the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. In 1991, the Herzliya Museum of Contemporary Art held her first retrospective.