Carl Andre studied at the Phillips Academy boarding school in Andover, Massachusetts from 1951 to 1953 and afterwards traveled to France and England, returning deeply impressed by the site of Stonehenge. In 1956 he moved to New York, where he lived and worked closely with his former classmates Frank Stella (b. 1936) and Hollis Frampton (1936–1984). During this time Andre was introduced to the writing of Ezra Pound and developed an increasing interest in the work of Constantin Brâncuși (1876–1957). Andre is mostly known for his early assembled wood sculptures and his “Equivalents” series—flat, rug-like arrangements of gridded metal elements first displayed at his one-man show in 1965 at Tibor de Nagy Gallery in New York. Aside from sculpting Andre wrote more than 1000 poems, which follow the construction principles of serialism. From 1960 to 1964 he worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad, which later influenced his art and personal comportment. In 1969 Andre joined the Art Workers Coalition, a group of artists pushing for political and museum reform. He was included in the Minimalist group exhibition Primary Structures at New York’s Jewish Museum in 1966 and received a 1970 retrospective at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, also in New York.