Giuseppe Pinot-Gallizio originally trained as a chemist in Alba before turning to art in 1953. In 1955 he met Asger Jorn (1914–1973), and together they co-founded the Experimental Laboratory of the Imaginist Bauhaus in Pinot-Gallizio's studio in Alba, which attracted such artists as Enrico Baj, Ettore Sottsass, Elena Verrone, and Piero Simondo. The following year he and Jorn organized the First World Congress of Free Artists, a precursor to the founding of the Situationist International in 1957. During this time he also produced his most famous series of works, the so-called pintura industrial (Industrial Painting), created on huge rolls of canvas that were spread across drafting tables; paint was applied by means of a series of mechanized rollers, along with the help of multiple artists, and even children. The longest of these, the Caverna di Antimateria (Cavern of Antimatter), was 145 meters long (476 feet). It was first displayed at the Galerie René Drouin, Paris, in 1959, where it was draped around the gallery and sold by the meter. During this period Pinot-Gallizio’s work was also shown in important exhibitions in Copenhagen and Munich. He was honoured with a solo exhibition at the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, in 1960.