Avinash Chandra graduated from Delhi Polytechnic Art School in 1952 and taught at the institution from 1953 to 1956. In 1954, he was awarded first prize in the First National Exhibition of Art, New Delhi, and his painting Trees (1954) was acquired by the city’s newly founded National Gallery of Modern Art. During the early 1950s he was also a member of the progressive artists’ movement Delhi Silpi Chakra. In 1956 Chandra moved with his artist wife Prem Lata to London, where he had his first British solo show in 1957 at the Imperial Institute. Chandra’s art reached other parts of Europe in the early 1960s, and he received the 1962 Prix Européen (European Prize). He was the first Indian artist to be exhibited both in Documenta, Kassel (1964) and at Tate Britain (1965). While his early paintings were townscapes and landscapes rendered in mostly intense colors, often accompanied by swirling suns and moons, he slowly moved toward a more sexually explicit style with layered, rounded forms and bodies in the 1960s and ‘70s. After receiving a John D. Rockefeller scholarship in 1965, Chandra moved to New York in 1966. He returned to London in 1973.